From its iconic lighthouses and colossal ore docks to the thrill of agate hunting along the pristine beaches, Two Harbors, MN has much to offer for both history enthusiasts and outdoor adventurers alike.
- Two Harbors is home to the historic Split Rock Lighthouse, which was built in 1910. The lighthouse played a crucial role in guiding ships safely through the treacherous waters of Lake Superior. Today, it is a popular tourist attraction and a symbol of the area’s maritime history.
- Two Harbors has two massive ore docks that were used for loading iron ore into ships bound for steel mills during the region’s iron mining heyday. The docks, which are among the largest in the world, are still in use today.
- The beaches on the north shore are renowned for agate hunting. Lake Superior agates, known for their unique banded patterns, are often found along the shore, attracting collectors and visitors in search of these beautiful stones.
- Just north of Two Harbors is the Taconite Harbor Power Plant, a former coal-fired power plant that operated from the 1950s to 2016. The plant was known for its iconic smokestacks, which were demolished in 2020.
- Two Harbors is home to the 3M Museum, which showcases the history of the Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company (3M) and its impact on the community. The museum highlights the company’s early years when it mined and processed corundum for sandpaper production.
- Two Harbors serves as the southern terminus of the famous Superior Hiking Trail, which stretches over 300 miles along Lake Superior’s North Shore. The trail offers breathtaking views, rugged terrain, and opportunities for hiking and backpacking enthusiasts.
- The Edna G is a historic tugboat located in Two Harbors that was used to assist in ship navigation during the early 20th century. Today, it is preserved as a museum ship, providing visitors with a glimpse into the area’s maritime history and the importance of tugboats in Great Lakes shipping.
- Located just south of Two Harbors, Gooseberry Falls State Park is a scenic destination known for its beautiful waterfalls and hiking trails. It’s one of Minnesota’s most popular state parks and a must-visit spot for nature enthusiasts.
- The surrounding areas offer excellent opportunities for sea kayaking. Lake Superior’s rugged coastline features sea caves that are accessible by kayak, providing paddlers with a unique and thrilling experience exploring these natural wonders.
- Two Harbors boasts the Burlington Bay Beach, a lovely sandy stretch of Lake Superior shoreline ideal for family fun and relaxation. During the summer months, this inviting beach is a popular spot for swimming, picnicking, and soaking up the sun, providing the perfect escape for locals and tourists alike.
Don’t miss the chance to explore all that this area has to offer! Start planning your trip today by booking your lodging with us at Country Inn Two Harbors.